Wills and Probate
Staten Island Wills and Probate Attorney Helps Establish Your Legacy
Patient legal assistance for testators and their beneficiaries in NY and NJ
Many of our clients are under the misconception that wills and estate plans are for the wealthy. The truth is, if you have something, you have something to lose. A clear, concise will, as part of a comprehensive estate plan, provides important safeguards for middle-class families, especially when it comes to your home. Since 1997, William J. Newstad, Esq., Attorney and Counselor at Law has helped residents of New York and New Jersey record their intentions. With a valid will, you can rest assured that your heirs will benefit in a timely and efficient manner.
What happens in New York when a person dies without a will?
When a person leaves a valid will, the estate passes to heirs according to that person’s intentions. If a person dies without a will, the estate passes according to the laws of the state. This can cause many problems, including:
- Unintended persons inheriting assets;
- No provisions for the decedent’s favorite charities;
- Added expense and delay in resolving estate matters;
- Unnecessary financial stress for heirs who must wait for the distribution of estate assets.
Complete will planning in New York and New Jersey
As your wills and probate lawyer, we spend as much time as necessary in face-to-face meetings, establishing your goals, recording your intentions, and finalizing the language of the instrument. After we draft your will, we meet again to read through it with you, answering any questions you have, before formalizing it in front of a witness. When the time comes, we present the will at the probate court for validation, and the process of distributing assets can begin.
Our office has additional wealth management and legacy services, which include:
- Estate planning — Preparing your assets for your retirement and eventual transfer to your heirs
- Asset protection — Safeguarding your wealth from losses due to taxation and liability
- Probate and estate administration ― Overseeing the transfer of assets from a decedent to the heirs
- Special needs planning — Legal instruments to support vulnerable adults and children
- Powers of attorney — Legal proxies to act for a loved one’s health and welfare
- Living wills and advance healthcare directives — Defining the limits of lifesaving interventions
- Trusts — Legal instruments to hold, manage, transfer and protect assets
- Estate litigation and contested wills — Legal representation to resolve conflicts over a testator’s intentions or a beneficiary’s rights
To get started with your will preparation, fill out our simple estate intake form, and then give us a call at the number below.
Contact an ethical Staten Island attorney for will and probate services
William J. Newstad, Esq., Attorney and Counselor at Law drafts wills and validates the documents in the probate courts of New York and New Jersey. For further information about the full range of our estate planning services, contact us at 718.815.5800 or contact our office online.
William J. Newstad, Attorney at Law is located in Staten Island, NY and serves clients in and around Staten Island, Breezy Point, Brooklyn, New York, Jamaica, Rockaway Park, Ridgewood, Maspeth, Long Island City, Howard Beach, Middle Village, Sunnyside, Woodhaven, Ozone Park, Woodside, Arverne, Elmhurst, Rego Park, Astoria, South Ozone Park, South Richmond Hill, Richmond Hill, Jackson Heights, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Corona, East Elmhurst, Inwood, Springfield Gardens, Bronx, Bronx County, Kings County, Nassau County, New York County, Orange County, Queens County, Richmond County, Rockland County, Suffolk County and Westchester County.